Due to the service provider, 'webs.com', ending its support, the functioning and future of this website is uncertain.

To keep in touch please see the church's Facebook page.

Over a Century of Services

From our origins in 1902, when services were held in the mission room at St Peter's School, the church has grown and developed. The old church building was opened in 1906 as a mission church of Holy Trinity, until St Peter's became a full parish on 29th June 1931. The old church was a wooden building in need of constant repair and it was decided in the mid 1950s that a new church was needed. St Peter's parishioners were asked to raise £15,000 as their share of the cost. The money was raised by various means and by December 1959 the target had been achieved.


In June 1960, the plans for the new church had been agreed and Dr Spencer, a local GP cut the first turf. The Venerable Archdeacon Arthur White, who had been St Peter's first curate in 1909, laid the foundation stone on 17th September 1960. The new church was consecrated on the 16th August 1961 by the then Bishop of Liverpool, Dr Clifford Martin. There was a stark contrast in design between the old church and the new, the new building being in line with the style of the period.


The construction methods, design, and materials were very much in keeping with the '60s, and as we moved into the twenty first century it became apparent that the cost and extent of work to both maintain and adapt the building to an acceptable modern standard was becoming increasingly difficult.


A decision was made by the PCC to discontinue using the building, which was subsequently demolished in 2020.  Since June 2016, services have been held at either the nearby St Peter's Primary School, or adjacent Brigade Hall with organisation meetings at other local venues.                                                                                                                       


Important Statement

St Peter's takes its duty and obligation to protect all, extremely seriously. We have adopted the national Church of England's robust procedures and guidelines. You can find out more about the national policies and procedures at www.churchofengland.org/safeguarding 

Welcome
to St Peter, Bryn.
A church within the newly formed parish of Wigan South.